Friday, May 6, 2011

Reflections on my mother

  With Mother's Day fast approaching, I feel compelled to write an open letter to my mother...


  Mom,

Words do not do justice for all the love you gave me from the time I was but a small cell growing in your body until the day you had to leave me, to go home to our Lord.  As a mother, I know there were times where you feel you failed me but I can guarantee you that you didn't.  I am who I am thanks to your love and support.  Your generous nature taught me to think of others first.  Your sense of humor lives in me and I am so thankful for that.  The beauty of nature and the world around you did not escape you and you passed that down to me, so much so that I have to fight the urge to take in strays be it animal or human!  I never really understood the love you had for all six of us until I had children of my own.  I now know it's so powerful, no matter what any child does or will do, I will not stop loving them.  I understand you so much better, your sacrifices and why you did what you did to make my life better.  I truly do regret not spending more time with you, not taking a few minutes out of each day to stop by and get a hug.  I miss your jokes and your laughter, I can still hear it in my head.  I miss bowling with you and playing bingo with you. 
  Some kids get embarrassed by their parents and their actions, but I never did with you.  My friends all loved you, and thought of you as a "cool mom".  They were right, you were.  Even as an adult when I was on my own raising babies, if I was sick you were right there bringing chicken soup and whatever else I needed.  You took care of me through everything, even my first pregnancy.  When other parents would turn their backs on their pregnant, unmarried teen you stood by my side.  When I chose to put her up for adoption, you were right there for me during the most difficult time in my life.  I am so glad you got to know your grandchildren and they love you.  I am only sorry you weren't around for Serenity, but I think you are here somewhere.  I think you watch over her everyday.  I don't think you would let even death keep you from your youngest grandchild, you are that strong!  Your strength in certain situations amazed me.  I suppose that is where I get my strength.  No one knows the sacrifice you made, you told only me.   You suffered silently to give me the life I had and I will love you forever for that.  I will love you forever just for being my mom, my best friend, my confidante and my support.  I will never let your memory die, it will live on in your grandchildren and their children. 

I love you mommy,
Your baby,

Wendy

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! and, since it is May 9th today: Happy Happy Birthday, dearest friend. Every birthday you celebrate from today and for the rest of your life should be celebrated with childlike excitement! For those who have seen the fragility of life, the existence and persistence of it become all the more beautiful! CELEBRATE!

    ReplyDelete