Friday, October 26, 2012

About MG, but Not the Cool Car...

  Most of you have read my post about depression.  I am thankful for that.  I hope it helps some one, I truly do.  Alas, that was not my only issue.  I thought my aches, pains and lack of energy were all due to the depression, I was wrong. 

Before my cancerous, pain in the ass thymus was removed, it decided to leave me with a gift, a very special antibody.  How long it has been producing this antibody is unknown, it's gone now, so who the hell cares. What this antibody does is leave you with Myasthenia Gravis, or MG for short. 

Here's the textbook definition as stolen by the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America (crap, you know it's bad when there's a foundation for it!)*

*Myasthenia Gravis (pronounced My-as-theen-ee-a Grav-us) comes from the Greek and Latin words meaning "grave muscular weakness." The most common form of MG is a chronic autoimmune neuromuscular disorder that is characterized by fluctuating weakness of the voluntary muscle groups.
Common symptoms can include:

  • A drooping eyelid
  • Blurred or double vision
  • Slurred speech
  • Difficulty chewing and swallowing
  • Weakness in the arms and legs
  • Chronic muscle fatigue
  • Difficulty breathing

Holy shit!  Cancer AND this too?  Wow, what a lucky gal am I!!

Nah, I'm not really handling this as well as you may think.  Two steps forwards and like 100 back! 
Unfortunately, I  missed my doctor's appointment to go over my regimen of whatever, I don't know what he has in mind.  I didn't miss it on purpose, insomnia has struck fiercely and I am not getting to sleep until the hours of 4am-6am and sleeping until nearly 11am most days.  I am an early riser, so this is definitely not me!  I slept right through my appointment!  It was a frustrating day yesterday to say the least.

Now, I must wrap my tired little brain around this, cope as best as I possibly can, and pray, pray, pray!!

This too shall pass, or me first... I'm not clear on the details yet.  I need to go more in depth with my doctor, but he decided it was a great time to take a vacation and so now I must wait a month more to find out what's in store for this broken doll. 

Never give up, never give in! 

On a brighter note, I totally scarred my toddler for life today.  I took her to pick out her costume at a Halloween-chain store.  You know, those kind that have the "animatronic" monsters.  Yup, you got it, massive decibels of screams came from this tiny tot.  4 hours later and my ears are still ringing.  Oh boy!  Trick or Treating this year is going to be some treat with all the little ghouls and goblins running around and my anti-zombie girl peeing herself with each step! 
I hope she learns in time for Halloween next year, in order to fit in with this family, you must embrace the gore or go!  (I really won't make her go, unless  it's to the bathroom).
The hauntingly good fun shall never cease in this house!  We are one "spook"tacular family!

Happy Halloween and Boo!!  to you MG! :P

*for more information on MG, please visit www.myasthenia.org





No comments:

Post a Comment